Just 10 days to go.
Things I knew about Whole30 going in:
- It was not going to be easy
- There would be a lot of meal prep
- I would go through a phase where I was tired and cranky and irritable
- I would probably get sick at some point while my body detoxifies itself
- I lost 8 pounds the first time I did a round of Whole30 and was in the best shape of my life mentally and physically
- There would be temptations
Most of this is true for this round with a few exceptions:
- It is challenging. I find myself dealing with MORE cravings and temptations than I remember dealing with from the last time. Every time I go to the grocery store, I just want to grab all the things like Smore’s Oreos, chips, and ice cream. When sitting at restaurants, it’s challenging to not nosh on the chips and salsa, order margaritas, eat the bread and the fries, and get the cheese.
- There is still a lot of meal prep., but despite the fact that I have extra time since it’s summer, I am not prepping as well as I did the first time.
- The first week I felt GREAT. I had energy and zing and a pep in my step. I got ALLLLL the things done that week. Then, the second week came–BAM! Say hello to cranky, irritable, oh-so-tired me. I am also not sleeping well (except I do think I finally got a great night’s sleep last night)
- I haven’t gotten sick per se, but I have been dealing with some acne. To be honest, I had skin issues before I started this round (my eating habits were waaaayyyy out of control)–acne, rosacea, redness. It seemed to be getting better right away, and then just last week, it busted out again. Today, though, it seems to be calming back down.
- Although it is against the rules to weigh yourself during the 30 days, I have been to the doctor’s office, so I know I have only lost 3-4 pounds. I don’t feel bloated anymore, but my clothes haven’t changed that much in the way they fit. I am not using the workout supplements I love because protein powder is frowned upon and the supplements contain sweetener, so I am also not seeing the results from the workouts like I expected to see.
- Temptations are definitely a struggle. Especially socially. We went out with a few friends Saturday night and there were drinks at the restaurant and at the wine bar (duh), but I stuck to my water despite the jokes and the digs. I will say it was a nice feeling to go home NOT feeling bloated and yucky and to wake up the next morning not feeling foggy and cranky and tired.
Like I said, I still have 10 days to go. I AM proud of myself for sticking to it the way I have. And for making all the workouts. I believe there are BIG health benefits happening in my body even if the aesthetic changes I am desiring are not evident yet.
I feel better. I think clearer. My body has less aches and stiffness.
I don’t think I am eating enough food, so this week I am going to improve upon that. I also need to get more vegetables and healthy fats into my diet.
But above all of this, the biggest payoff is my increased self-confidence. I made a plan and I am sticking to it…and THAT is the most important by-product of all.